The latest High Technology Manufacturing Report from the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment was released on 31 July.
The report reviews how New Zealand’s high and medium-high technology manufacturing sectors are performing in terms of exports, finance and innovation. It also analyses the growth of firms and recruitment trends in the sector.
The report shows five emerging trends in this sector:
- Where our top high technology manufacturers are global leaders, it is because they specialise in niche markets.
- Manufacturers are increasingly becoming service providers.
- Manufacturing is going digital – new technologies are changing the structure and competitiveness of manufacturing.
- Australia has a critical role in the development of New Zealand’s higher value export industries and in building New Zealand-owned multinationals.
- While exports from these sectors were affected by the Global Financial Crisis in 2008-10, both have shown resilience and tenacity in the face of this difficulty and have demonstrated renewed growth since 2010.
Read the full report here.
Updated: 7 September 2015