Solve a challenging R&D problem in your business with PhD or masters research.
How can the grant help me?
The R&D Fellowship Grant is designed to provide your business with advanced research at PhD or masters level.
Solving the problem for your business will be the project’s purpose. The research is undertaken inside your business and at the university, and is the research topic on which the PhD or masters thesis is based.
You’ll get access to the latest thinking and knowledge through the student’s university supervisor and build on-going links between your business and the university.
How does it work?
Your business and the university supervisor will jointly supervise the student’s research project, and the research is undertaken at both sites.
R&D Fellowship Grant students receive a stipend and travel allowance and a fee is paid to the university to support their role in the scheme.
Funding is provided for the research activity only and available for a maximum of three years for a PhD and up to two years for a master’s degree
Maximum payments for a PhD or master’s degree research project per annum:
- Stipend $26,000 (GST exempt) p.a.
- University host fee $4,500 (GST exclusive) p.a.
Who can apply?
To apply for an R&D Fellowship Grant, your business must be one of the following:
- Registered under the Companies Act.
- Registered under the Limited Partnerships Act.
- A Māori incorporation or trust established under the Te Ture Whenua Māori Act, a trust set up to manage assets as part of a Treaty of Waitangi settlement, a Māori statutory body, or a business controlled by one or more of these entities.
To qualify, your business must also:
- Have an active R&D programme i.e. an R&D budget and R&D staff.
- Meet due diligence requirements.
To be eligible for an R&D Fellowship Grant placement, students must:
- Be enrolled in a masters or PhD requiring the completion of a research thesis or project.
- Be studying science, technology, engineering, design or business at a New Zealand university or tertiary institute.
- Be legally permitted to study in New Zealand.
How do I apply?
Talk to us and we’ll help you through the process. Phone Callaghan Innovation on 0800 4 CALLAGHAN (0800 422 552)
Talk to your university research office.
R&D Fellowship Grants guides
Fellowship Grant - Application Guidelines and Template
Fellowship Grant - University confirmation form
Fellowship Grant - Number of grants per business guide
Fellowship Grant - Funding Calculation Guide
Fellowship Grant - Roles and responsibilities
Fellowship Grant - Funding agreement example
Fellowship Grant - Information sheet for students
Answers to frequently asked questions about Fellowship Grants can be found at Student Grant FAQs.
For more information, contact us.
Updated: 18 June 2018